Rules of the Road
Rules ensure safety and comfort for all passengers and the bus operator. Please observe the following rules when riding JTRAN buses or using JTRAN transit facilities (bus stops, maintenance yard, transit centers and administrative offices):
- Sec. 126-359. Required rules of behavior on city buses.
(1) Loud or disruptive behavior is prohibited.
(2) Actions disrespecting the bus operator are prohibited.
(3) Eating and drinking are permitted provided that the waste from eating or drinking is properly disposed.
(4) Unsealed or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
(5) No smoking on buses, inside transit facilities or within 20 feet of the opening of a window or door at transit facilities.
(6) Intoxicated passengers shall be refused service.
(7) No standing in front of the white or yellow "standee" line, in doorways or stepwells while the bus is in motion.
(8) No unnecessary conversation or interference with bus operator for safety reasons.
(9) No fighting, using vulgar or offensive language, pushing, shouting or participating in rough behavior on the bus or at transit facilities.
(10) All electronic devices in use require the use of headphones. Amplified music is not allowed on buses or at transit facilities.
(11) No flammable, hazardous materials or weapons of kind (unless legally allowed under a concealed weapon permit or a law enforcement officer) shall be allowed on board the bus (except oxygen).
(12) No large objects that cannot be held by the passenger placed under seat or out of the aisle way is allowed on board the bus.
- Bicycles, surfboards and strollers are permitted inside all JTRAN vehicles provided that they do not constitute a hazard towards other passengers. Bicycles are allowed inside buses at the discretion of the bus operator and as space permits. All strollers, scooters, folding carts and large packages must be stowed away under the seat.
- Rollerblades and skates are not allowed to be worn on buses.
(13) All animals brought on board must be in an approved pet carrier, except service animals, which are trained to assist individuals with a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
(14) No unapproved signs or advertisements may be placed on board vehicles or facilities controlled or owned by JTRAN.
(15) No vandalism, defacing, destroying, damaging or placing graffiti on buses or at transit facilities.
(16) No illegal activity of any kind shall be tolerated on board buses or at transit facilities.
(17) Shoes and shirts are required to ride buses.
(18) No littering on buses or at transit facilities.
(19) Not paying the established fare or misuse of transfers, passes, tokens or tickets with the intent to evade fare payment is prohibited.
(20) Bus operators cannot assist in carrying packages. These items must be stowed under the seat, in the passenger lap or out of the aisle way.
(21) Passengers must have exact change ready as the bus operator cannot make change and no refunds are provided for overpayment.
(22) Yield the seats in front of the bus for seniors and persons with disabilities as identified by a posted decal.
(23) Never extend your body from, throw any object outside the window or door or ride on any part of the exterior of a bus.
(24) Holding of meetings or ceremonies is prohibited on buses or at transit facilities.
(25) Use of a transit facility or bus for sleeping, camping or general use in lieu of regular housing is prohibited.
(26) Improper use of the waiting area as a cooking, washing or toilet facility is prohibited.
(27) Children under the age of nine may not ride JTRAN buses or services unless accompanied by a fare paying passenger age 16 years old or older.
(28) Any behavior which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, health, peace and safety of others properly utilizing the transit facility or riding a bus is prohibited.
(29) A person who commits an assault or battery upon a transit operator with a deadly weapon or presents the ability to use a deadly weapon is subject to being prosecuted as a felony.
(30) Passengers must have a destination when riding JTRAN buses. Passengers will be allowed two complete round trips on JTRAN routes to allow for the passenger to access his/her appropriate destination. Passengers that do not have a destination or exceed the two round trips may be requested to leave the bus by the bus operator at the nearest transit center or major transfer point.
(Ord. No. 2020-25(2), § 1, 10-13-20)
Sec. 126-360. Penalties for violating rules.
(1) Any behavior in violation of said rules may result in removal from the buses; and
(2) After two reported offenses, a rider may be banned from riding JTRAN buses.
(3) JTRAN reserves the right to refuse service to and/or suspend passengers who demonstrate disruptive and unsafe behavior or violates any of the rules and regulations presented herein.
(Ord. No. 2020-25(2), § 2, 10-13-20)
JTRAN or its transit operations contractor reserve the right to refuse service to and/or suspend passengers who demonstrate disruptive and unsafe behavior or violates any of the rules and regulations presented above.
These rules are enforced and some are part of the Mississippi Code. Violation of these rules may result in Bus Operator, law enforcement officer, transit operations contractor or City of Jackson official not permitting the passenger to board the bus, imprisonment and/or a fine.