Mayor Lumumba declares State of Emergency after severe storm damage. Click here.


The City of Jackson’s Water and Sewer Business Administration is now JXN Water. Click here.



PEG Network Off-Air Announcement: PEG Network is currently off the air as we undergo a relocation. We appreciate your patience during this transition.

In the meantime, you can stay connected with PEG Network here or visit our YouTube channel at

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Search below to find answers to the questions most frequently asked of the Jackson Historic Preservation Division.

  • Do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) to paint the outside of my house or building?

No, unless the building has never been painted, in which case painting it would be a change in design and materials.

  • I want to remodel the inside of my house, including modernizing the kitchen and bathrooms. Do I need a COA?

No, a COA is not required for interior work. Interior remodeling may require building permits, however, depending on the type and extent of the work.

  • Do I need a COA to replace window in my house with new ones?

Yes, changes to or replacement of major exterior features such as windows and doors requires a COA. Repair is always recommended before replacement.

  • We want to add a room onto our historic house, and later we would like to build a carport. Will we need to obtain a COA?

Yes, additions to existing houses and construction of new buildings both require a COA.

  • A large tree is growing too close to our house and is dropping limbs on the roof. Do we need a COA in order to remove the tree?

Yes, tree removal requires evaluation by a certified Arborist and a COA.

  • What about other landscaping or site work? Do we need a COA for that?

You may, depending on the scope of the changes. You do not need a COA for minor changes to flower beds or shrubbery. You do need a COA to change or add fences, walks and driveways.

  • Our roof is leaking and needs to be repaired. Do we need a COA?

You may obtain a Compliance Agreement (CA) for this work as long as you do not change the type or material of the roofing.

  • What if we want to replace the roofing?

As long as you don’t change the type, style or material of the roofing or design of the roof, you may obtain a CA instead of a COA. If you propose to change the material or other features, you will need to apply for a COA.

  • I have purchased a vacant lot in a local historic district and want to build a new house on it. May I do that?

Yes, the Historic Ordinance does not restrict new construction as long as the new structure meets the guidelines of compatibility. Quality of design and compatibility are the primary criteria for new construction.

  • What is the purpose of historic preservation and conservation?

The purpose of historic conservation is to preserve, promote, and develop the historical resources of the city of Jackson. These resources are unique to our city and should be preserved for future generations. Additionally, we also would lose many examples of fine architecture and design from various periods of the history of the city.

  • Does historic preservation have any value to property owners?

It has been documented by numerous studies that protection of historic districts through local ordinances increases the value of property. Historic preservation is a valuable tool for economic development in other ways as well. Historic sites are among the top destinations for travelers. In addition, federal, state and local financial incentives in the form of grants, tax abatement and tax credits may be available for redevelopment of historic properties.

Close window