About Business Privilege Licensing
Anyone who conducts business in the City of Jackson must obtain a Business Privilege License, except for businesses that are specifically exempted by state or federal statute. Business License fees must be paid before the business opens and are renewable annually.
Applications for a Business License should be filled out, notarized, and uploaded into the online application. They must adhere to the following:
- Provide the name(s) of the person(s) associated with the business on the application.
- Pay the appropriate fee payment. Most fees are determined by either the number of employees or the amount of the inventory.
- During the process, the Zoning Division must approve the location. Additional inspections may be required before the license is issued.
- Health Department Inspections are required for childcare providers and anyone preparing or serving food. The applicant is responsible for obtaining approval from the County and/or State Health Department, and inspection verifications must accompany the Business License application.
- Fire Inspections are required before a license can be issued. Applications and fees for fire inspections are submitted through the OpenGov portal.
- FOG (Fats, Oil & Grease) Inspections are required for certain types of businesses before a license can be issued. Applications and fees for FOG inspections are submitted through the OpenGov portal.
- Police Inspections are required for certain types of businesses including those serving beer and wine, pawn brokers, and others. Applications and fees for fire inspections are submitted through the OpenGov portal.