FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 16, 2021
JACKSON ISSUES PRECAUTIONARY CITYWIDE BOIL WATER NOTICE, JTRAN CLOSED WEDNESDAY, MORE BLACK ICE ANTICIPATED
(JACKSON, MS) – The City of Jackson is issuing the following updates this afternoon related to extreme cold weather causing water pressure issues and hazardous road conditions throughout the area:
LOW WATER PRESSURE & CITYWIDE PRECAUTIONARY BOIL WATER NOTICE
- The City is aware that residents throughout the Jackson area experiencing issues related to low water pressure. Due to the extreme low temperatures, the City of Jackson Water Treatment Plants are experiencing an inability to maintain pressure in the distribution system. Until adequate system pressure is restored some areas will continue to experience low to no water pressure. We ask for residents’ patience as we work to stabilize the system.
- The City of Jackson Water/Sewer Utilities Division has issued CITY-WIDE precautionary boil water advisory until further notice for:
- ALL SURFACE WATER CONNECTIONS.
- THIS NOTICE DOES NOT INCLUDE WELL WATER CONNECTIONS.
- THIS ADVISORY AFFECTS APPROXIMATELY 43,000 CONNECTIONS ON OUR DRINKING WATER SYSTEM.
- This is a precautionary advisory. This notice does not mean that your water is unsafe, but it does mean that you must take precautions and boil your water before use. All customers are advised to boil their drinking water until adequate pressure is restored to the system. Water should be brought to a rolling boil for one minute for the following: cooking or baking, making ice cubes, taking medication, brushing teeth, washing food, mixing baby formula or food, mixing juices or drinks feeding pets, washing dishes, and all other consumption.
- The City further encourages residents to please do their best to conserve water and call 311 or any of the numbers below to report low water pressure or no water at their residence or business. Residents should also report any visible water main breaks in the distribution system.
JTRAN SUSPENDING SERVICE WEDNESDAY
- Due to weather-related road conditions, JTRAN will be closed on Wednesday, February 17.
- We ask residents to exercise extreme caution when going outside and to avoid travel as we anticipate more black ice to accumulate on roads.
# # #