Jackson Fire Department Citizen’s Fire Academy
All day Jackson Fire Department Training Facility
1240 South Gallatin Street, Jackson, MS
The Jackson Fire Department invites you to raise your awareness of fire and emergency operations by participating in our one-week Citizen’s Fire Academy.
The Jackson Fire Department is committed to being a department at the forefront of fire and injury prevention. Through the Citizen’s Fire Academy, the department encourages citizens to become more involved with fire safety.
The overall goals of the citizen’s academy are:
- To educate our citizens about the basic tactics and strategies of firefighting and rescue operations
- To promote fire safety
- To encourage academy participants to return to their families and neighborhoods to share their knowledge and experiences. This will help citizens to be more safety conscious and informed
- To provide an enjoyable, interactive atmosphere in which fire members and citizens can share information and concerns
In the academy, your education experience will include:
- Introduction of the Jackson Fire Department and Command Staff
- Fire Safety Education
- Basic first aid
- Proper use of a fire extinguisher
- Touring fire stations
- Becoming familiar with fire equipment, fire vehicles and their use
- Visit to the public safety communications center
- Hands on activities and much more
You must be at least 18 years of age to participate in the citizen’s academy and expected to attend 80% of the class to receive a certificate for graduation.
Class size is limited to 20 participants. If you are not accepted into the immediate class, your application will be put on file for the next class.
Class will be conducted at the Jackson Fire Department Training Facility, located at 1240 South Gallatin Street. Class time will be conducted between the hours of 6:00PM-8:00PM, with the exception of Wednesday (6:00PM-9:00PM) and Saturday (10:00AM- 12:00PM).
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com
For more information, please call Cleotha Sanders, Division Fire Chief Jackson for the Fire Department, at (601) 960-1498.