FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 28, 2021
CITY OF JACKSON UPDATE FOR SUNDAY EVENING
(JACKSON, MS) – The City of Jackson is issuing the following updates for Sunday, February 28, 2021, related to the ongoing water crisis and the recovery efforts being made as a result of recent winter weather:
- We had a very good day today with pressure levels achieving 90 psi. We are hoping to have an even better day tomorrow and to seeing levels stay consistent.
- We are gauging progress by measuring the psi (pounds per square inch) in the water distribution system. The goal is to reach around 90 psi at OB Curtis WTP and around 80 psi at JH Fewell WTP. Today’s reading is up from 37 psi when the cold front came through resulting in water outages throughout the City of Jackson and City of Byram.
- Today our team visited areas around the City at higher elevations and where we know residents are continuing to experience outages, including in South Jackson, in order to test pressure levels and release any trapped air out of the system that may be impeding flow. We will continue to do this tomorrow.
- Over the course of this crisis, 80 total water main breaks/ leaks have been reported throughout the City. As of tonight, the Water Maintenance Department has completed 51 repairs and they are continuing to do the hard work to dwindle down this list. We now have 29 reported breaks outstanding of which nine (9) have already been confirmed and MS 811 Locate requested. A detailed list will be provided in tomorrow’s update. Please continue to report any water main breaks/leaks to 311.
- The system-wide precautionary boil water notice is still in effect.
- PLEASE CONSERVE WATER during this water outage crisis. Limit water usage to the necessities. Conserving water will allow fellow Jacksonians to get back online faster.
- All water meter issues should be directed to 601-960-0762 and 601-960-0761.
- NON-POTABLE (FLUSHING) WATER will be available at the following locations on Monday, March 1st from 9am to 6pm. Residents should bring containers.
- Forest Hill High School – 2607 Raymond Road, Jackson, MS 39212
- Raines Elementary School – 156 N. Flag Chapel Road, Jackson, MS 39209
- Callaway High School – 601 Beasley Rd, Jackson, MS 39206
- Provine High School – 2400 Robinson St, Jackson, MS 39209
- New Mt Zion Missionary Baptist Church – 140 Maple St, Jackson, MS 39203
- Davis Road Park – 5901 Terry Road Byram, MS 39272
- Walton Elementary School – 3200 Bailey Avenue, Jackson, MS, 39213
- The City continued its efforts to deliver bottled water to the elderly, disabled and homebound over the weekend and will continue this week.
WATER SEWER BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (WSBA)
- BILLING ADJUSTMENTS FOR REPAIRS: Citizens who have experienced a significant leak or loss of water due to a plumbing issue or busted pipes during this past week should please retain copies of the plumbing statements upon repair to provide to WSBA for consideration of an adjustment to your bill. To qualify for a leak adjustment, simply bring a copy of your plumber receipt or a receipt for parts purchased to the Applications Counter at WSBA. One of our customer services representatives will be happy to assist you. Please call 601-960-2000 for any additional information.
- Residents can begin placing bulk items, limbs and bagged leaves out for collection on their second collection day next week.
- Limbs should be cut into four (4) foot long segments and stacked in small piles no higher than three (3) feet.
- If cut by paid contractors, the contractors are responsible for properly removing/disposing limbs.
- Please contact Solid Waste at 601-960-1193 for more information.
- The volume of calls to 311 is still high. We ask that residents please leave a message stating their full name, phone number, address and situation. In addition to 311, residents can also call 601-960-1111 or 601-960-1778.
# # #