FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 7, 2021
CITY OF JACKSON UPDATE FOR SUNDAY EVENING
(JACKSON, MS) – The City of Jackson is issuing the following updates for Sunday, March 7, 2021, related to the ongoing water crisis and recovery efforts being made as a result of recent winter weather:
- Today got off to a good start with pressure reaching 89 psi by mid-day and staying there. We also continued progress in filling our tanks. However, early this afternoon we began to experience a minor mechanical issue with our raw water screens. Contractors are onsite at the plant now and we hope to get the issue resolved quickly. So far, we have not lost any pressure and do not anticipate losing pressure while the issue is resolved.
- We are gauging progress by measuring the psi (pounds per square inch) in the water distribution system. The goal is to reach ~ 90 psi at OB Curtis WTP and ~80 psi at JH Fewell WTP. When the winter weather came through, psi dropped to 37 resulting in water outages throughout the City of Jackson and City of Byram.
- As of today, most of the city has seen its water restored. There continue to be some pockets in South Jackson on Forest Hill Road and McCluer Road that are still experiencing low pressure. These areas are at a higher elevation and our teams are continuing efforts to get them fully restored.
- Today our teams also successfully got the list of water main breaks/leaks back within the range of what the city anticipates on a regular basis. An updated list will be provided on Monday.
- So long as we stay consistent at the plant and do not have any further mechanical set-backs, we should be in a good place this week to begin sampling to remove boil water notices. The Health Department is working with us to begin scheduling.
- A system-wide precautionary boil water notice is still in effect for all surface water connections (~43K connections) and all well water connections (~16K connections).
- Please continue to report any water main breaks/leaks to 311.
- NON-POTABLE (FLUSHING) WATER will be available Monday, March 8 from 9am to 6pm at Forest Hill High School – 2607 Raymond Road, Jackson, MS 39212
- BOTTLED WATER will be distributed Monday, March 8 beginning at 3pm until depleted at Metrocenter Mall – 3645 Hwy 80 W Jackson, MS 39209
WSBA BILLING ADJUSTMENTS FOR REPAIRS
- Citizens who have experienced a significant leak or loss of water due to a plumbing issue or busted pipes during this past week should retain copies of the plumbing statements upon repair to provide to WSBA for consideration of an adjustment to your bill.
- To qualify for a leak adjustment, simply bring a copy of your plumbing receipt or a receipt for parts purchased to the Applications Counter at WSBA. One of our customer services representatives will be happy to assist you. Please call 601-960-2000 for any additional information.
- The volume of calls to 311 is still high. We ask that residents please leave a message stating their full name, phone number, address and situation. In addition to 311, residents can also call 601-960-1111 or 601-960-1778.
- All water meter issues should be directed to 601-960-2000.
# # #