(JACKSON, Miss.) – According to the National Weather Service, an outbreak of severe thunderstorms is expected Saturday morning with damaging winds of up to 70 miles per hour. Tornadoes and large hail is also expected. Please see the following are weather preparedness tips:
- Prepare ahead of time, especially if you live in a low-lying area.
- Sandbags will be available today until 6:00 pm Saturday from 7:00 am – 1:00 pm at 4225 Michael Avalon Street, Jackson, MS 39213
- DO NOT drive or walk in floodwaters. Floodwaters can be contaminated with debris, harmful chemical, rodents, biohazards, etc. Keep kids and pets out of floodwaters.
- TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN. Cars can be swept away in as little as two inches of water.
- DO NOT remove any barricades. They are there for your safety.
- 311 will be open tonight until 11:00 pm and tomorrow from 7:00 am – 1:00 pm tomorrow. Citizens can call the non-emergency line to report downed power lines or trees.
- JTRAN Service will be SUSPENDED from 6:00 am – 11:00 am Saturday morning
- Citizens should remain vigilant and be prepared by:
- Monitoring weather coverage through local news stations and weather apps
- Stocking up on groceries and gas ahead of time
- Having a family disaster kit prepared
- Seeking alternate accommodations if living in a flood-prone area
- If your car is disabled and/or left behind, it will be towed to the Metro Center Mall as a courtesy.
- JATRAN will assist disabled and elderly citizens who need to get out of flooded area.
- Hinds Co. EOC/Jackson Fire Dept. is prepared to assist with resources such as boats, if needed.
Communities and Neighborhoods affected by flash flooding include but are not limited to:
Choctaw Road off State Street
*Areas near major creeks (ie. Hanging Moss, Purple Creek, Town Creek etc.) are particularly prone to flash flooding