Click to Home
Go To Search
How Do I?
Land Bank & Surplus Property Acquisition

City Declared Surplus
Policies have been established to assist non-profit housing providers acquire tax forfeited property at no cost and to assist others purchase property the city has declared surplus. While the city does not maintain a land bank of property nor declare property surplus until inquiries are received, it does have certain procedures in place to facilitate this process.

Land for Housing Non-profit Organizations
Every year, property within the city is forfeited to the State of Mississippi for non-payment of property taxes. The Secretary of State's Office maintains a list of such properties and can be reached by calling 601-359-1350. Certain non-profits that provide housing for low- to moderate-income households may obtain such parcels through the City of Jackson at no cost by asking the city to obtain the Land Patent for the property from the state and deeding the property over to the non-profit.